Thursday, September 19, 2013

A game dies: Warhammer Age of Reckoning

Warhammer AoR Shutdown:
BAM. Costs too much to maintain. Despite the progressive nature of the game (One of the first ones to have reoccurring timed world events while having cities you can capture). Dark, gothic, grim... too bad it only appealed to the true fans of the game. Unlike Everquest or WoW or other longstanding MMOs their fanbase was NARROW and could NOT turn a profit in the long run. Even newer games like Guild Wars 2 (I have max level characters there) that came CLOSE to the Epic of WAR but the game is now a ghost town (Shockingly so is the server on WoW that I have played). I could go into all the game highlights or the fun I had in the Beta or the sillyness of me getting into the game just after one of my best friends stopped playing and left me with a month to try and play solo only to find myself grossly underpowered and tissue paper against guild run chaos. Let me just say it's a sad day but for me, as a Game Designer on a different media, I would hope something that predated something that "Set the Standard" and was the FOUNDATION for that "Standard" would have run longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment